This is my third PR for release 0.2. The PR was for a bug fix in the Butterfly project maintained by PayPal.
Butterfly is an application code transformation tool, and commonly it is used to perform automated application migrations, upgrades and source code and configuration changes.
The command-line interface of the application had a
bug. The parsing of option
-p needed to be changed to allow some escaped characters. I reached out to the
maintainer and he assigned the issue to me and I started my research on the code
This project had a contribution guideline.
It is very important to look for any contribution guideline and follow before
starting any work. This project wanted the contributors to checkout the
develop branch. Which basically means that I should do my work based on the
work done in
develop branch. Also, they wanted that the test coverage doesn’t
drop and the pull request to be created to the
develop branch not
They also wanted the commit message in a certain way. Again, this is super
important to follow the guideline.
It took me a while to find out where exactly I need to make change. I used
GitHub’s search tool to find where the option
-p have been used in the
The search gave a all the files where the
-p option has been used.
Once I found the appropriate file, I made a small change. The change was not huge.
Now, I needed to add some test cases. This my first time writing test cases in a Java project. Butterfly used testng as testing framework. I added three test cases to check my work. Once everything was working as expected, I committed my work and opened a pull request.